A COUPLE have appeared in court after cops said they injected their three children with heroin and kept them in a home which was littered with used needles and rats droppings.
Ashlee Hutt, 24, and Leroy “Mac” McIver, 25, from Washington state in the US, allegedly told their son, six, and daughters, aged four and two, they were getting “feel good medicine” and “sleep juice.”
They were charged with assault of a child in the second degree, unlawful delivery of a controlled substance to a person under 18, as well as criminal mistreatment in the second degree.
An affidavit filed in September in Pierce County Superior Court detailed the charges.
Hutt was arrested on 12 November 2015 when officers visited the home after being tipped off by a friend of the couple.
The News Tribune reported Child Protection Services noticed marks – including bruises and a cut – on one of the children, which were usually associated with heroin injection.
Their son described in an interview how his father choked him before injecting him with “feel good medicine.”
He allegedly said they mixed a white powder with water, then used a needle so they could inject it into him and his sisters.
The boy explained they usually went to sleep afterwards.
The two-year-old girl tested positive for heroin through a hair follicle test two months later.
According to The Washington Post, Pierce County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Detective Ed Troyer said: “The kids lived in deplorable conditions.
“It wasn’t a good living situation even without the issue of heroin.
“We unfortunately find kids living in deplorable conditions all too often, but we don’t see parents intentionally putting drugs into kids.”
The three children are now in protective custody.
Troyer said both Hutt and McIver have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
But the couple have reportedly confessed to being heroin addicts.
In a seemingly ironic twist, Hutt celebrated the jailing of another mother in the same town around two years ago after her baby died after drinking bong water.
Alyia Iverson’s son Nathan died from an overdose of deadly methamphetamine in 2012.
It later emerged he had been allowed to drink bong water shortly before his death.
Hutt shared a picture of the child on social media, along with the message: “Finally, justice for you.”
The heroin addict said she knew the baby and applauded when his mother was locked up.
She added: “It’s heartbreaking that you had to lose your life due to the state not listening.
“This never would’ve happened if you were with your father or family that actually cared for you.”